Thursday, December 14, 2006

I'm Fine.

Yesterday, I showed the debut of the Pigeon. Today, I thought I'd give a peek at the previous year's Mo Willems Sketchbook.

In 1997 I finally got my hands on The Steig Album, a collection of 7 books by New Yorker cartoonist William Steig, who eventually became a Caldecott winning author illustrator of children's books (including a family favorite, Pete's a Pizza).

The gem of The Steig Album is the inclusion of The Lonely Ones, an amazing collection of psychological cartoons. This big book of depressing, insightful, and eccentric drawings was a big hit in 1942 (imagine that happening today!).

So, in a fit of admiration, depression, and un-originality, my sketchbook for that year became a smaller, worser Lonely Ones.



(the booklet was made in 1997, but sent to clients and friends for new years 1998)

Here are a few spreads:





My admiration of Steig continues to this day, as witnessed by this recent sketch: