Friday, January 5, 2007

Aging...

I used to be excited about getting older. Older people seemed more successful and more settled. It was something to aspire to.

Unfortunately, as my dog, Nelson, approaches his eight birthday I am beginning to see some of the less desirable aspects of aging.

For years Nelson was a good, obedient, eager, quiet pup. But after our daughter was born, he figured out that whining and crying works. He became howl-ly, insistent, whiny, and generally disagreeable.

My theory is that one day he woke up and realized this is all there is.

Perhaps he had previously hoped that after x number of obedient years he would be granted a giant chewable ball or something; that a superior, ‘funner’ life would open before him like a flower. But now he knows: sleep, eat, chase ball, nap. Forever.

And now, this older, crankier dog won’t eat his breakfast. Instead he looks up at me with an expression that says, “Wait a second. This is dog food.

You’ve been feeding me DOG FOOD for 8 YEARS!

It is not a pleasant look.

I’m noticing that I whine more often now. I only hope that I won’t go off my food.

Here is Nelson in repose and guarding the house from his arch-enemy Squir-El.