Sunday, June 3, 2007

BEA means Brooklyn’s Excellent Adventure!

Last Friday was the big speech for the BEA breakfast, which was good fun. Daniel Pinkwater and Jacqueline Wilson were nice and interesting, and besides a bit of some technical problems (read: my projection thingie for the drawing demonstration failed to project) the talk went well.

While it was a thrill to speak to so many folks, the highlight of the conference for me was the Knuffle Bunny Bus tour.

We took about 50 booksellers and journalists across my Kings County to visit sites highlighted in both Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale and the upcoming Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity.

Here’s your host welcoming the crowd:



Pal Brian Selznick dropped by to see us off, but he had to attend to his many fans elsewhere:



So, I hung with my lovely editor Alessandra Balzer:



The bus was off! Finally, I had a captive audience to geek on my extensively useless knowledge of Brooklyn history. Unfortunately, the ride was a bit bumpy:



Bumpier:



BUMPY!!!



Finally, the culprit for the insane ride was found:



Thanks to all who dropped by (here’s the gang at the Brooklyn Library overlooking Grand Army Plaza. The Library served as my gigantic tripod for the big ‘money shot’ in KB2):




(Oh, and a shout out to new pals from dinner the other night: Adam Rex, the Jib-Jab Brothers, and Sarah Pennypacker. Great sports all.)