Thursday, September 13, 2007

In the PEN...

This Sunday after pal Jon Scieszka and I joke around in the Children’s tent at the Brooklyn Book Fest, I’m scheduled to drop by the PEN table where I’ve been asked to ‘chat about what PEN means to me’.

Besides sounding like a sophomore homework assignment, I’m somewhat nervous because I thought PEN was a writing utensil appreciation society.

Turns out they fight censorship at home and abroad and are behind efforts to encourage all writers to write in a free environment. The group also includes some heavy hitters in both grown-up and kids books.

In fact the group is so prestigious, that when I received an invitation for Ms. Mo Willems, I happily signed up for a sex-change operation. Turned out, simply adding a letter 'r' was more efficient.

The sum total of my work helping free expression was writing this sketch about updating classics (you’ll have to scroll down a bit to see my entry).

Here’s hoping I don’t goof.