Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Halloween Story…

(This is true)

As some of you may know, my family is Dutch. Now, you don’t have to know much about Holland or my family for this story except for this: There is no Halloween in the Netherlands and my mother’s birthday is October 31st.

So, during a cold October evening in the suburbs of Chicago almost forty years ago, my folks were quietly hanging out when the doorbell rang. At the door were a series of adorable kids dressed up in costumes holding bags of candy!

“Oh, my!” said my mother flushed with joy, “These Americans are so generous! How did they even know it was my birthday?”

Then she took the kids’ candy and slammed the door shut.

Not too long after that we moved to New Orleans.


Here is the Trixter’s illustration of that event (her favorite family tale):