Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanks!



Outside of Mardi Gras, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year (inside of Mardi Gras—don’t ask).

It seems quintessentially American to both revel in the successes of the past year and attempt a day of humility simultaneously.

In addition to the many personal joys my family affords me, I appreciate you both for supporting my work and celebrating it with your own drawings and doodles of my characters.

This is also “Best of List” season, as you can tell by mentions made here in the past week or so. Here are a few more specific accolades I’m humbled and zazzed about:

Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
clocks in at #18 on The NEA Educators' Top 100 Children's Books list (beating out JKR for the first and only time).

Elephant and Piggie’s Today I Will Fly! is a NAPPA Gold Winner.

Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity is both one of The Columbus Dispatch’s “Top 20 of '07” and a Parent’s Choice Recommended book.

Oh, and (a fan kindly commented that) Knuffle Bunny Too and Elephant and Piggie's There is a Bird on Your Head! also made it onto the School Library Journal's 2007 Best of List.


As an extra bonus, here’s a short vid that the fine folks in Pittsburgh asked me to make to encourage reading. It makes me (and my dentist) shudder, but what the hey?*

See ya on the flip side…

(*It also may be interesting to note that I was forced to perform my entire shtick sideways as well.)