Sunday, May 11, 2008

I’m back ...

...from my top-secret mission, which included a stop in Haarlem, Holland to have lunch with my Dutch Publisher and snag a few copies of Dutch Pigeon books. We had lunch on the terrace of a lovely turn of the century building on a quiet square. Very civilized.

Some fun stuff happened while I was away:

The Chicago Sun-Times called The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! “a gem” (which is good), while in the New York Times Book Review Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) likened the book to “a production of Eugene O’Neill’s “Strange Interlude,” directed by Big Bird” (which is good, right?) and continued by mentioning that “the artwork has Willems’s trademark deadpan hysteria” (which is good, too, although I’ve yet to officially trademark my deadpan hysteria).

Speaking of Pigeon, the Pigeon Series found itself at #7 on the New York Times Bestseller list (series) for its 17th week. Knuffle Bunny Too is #5 on the picture book list, for the 26th week. Thank you for the support.

The fine folks at YottoY have added the brand new Pigeon backpack and brand new Elephant and Piggie dolls to their website. I can’t wait until I get mine!