Friday, May 16, 2008

The writing is on the walls…

Here’s a bittersweet story about the fate of the graphitized walls at All for Kids, a cool indie-book shop that’s about to close down.

One of the coolest parts of being an author/illustrator is that at some signings you get to draw all over the walls. (before I was published, it was frowned upon).

’s joint isn’t the only place that does this (many store’s bathrooms are immediately covered whether the owners want it or not), but her walls had some really great stuff that included a real who's who of illustrators.

Even for the stores that don't allow illustrative defacement, sometimes, little surprises pop-up. I was washing my face the other day in a store when I notice that the poster-sized reproduction of the Constitution had the additional endorsements of pals Harry Bliss, Jon Scieska, and Lane Smith (and, now, me).

If you love your indie, tell ‘em to let the authors doodle on the walls!