Saturday, February 21, 2009

You never know…(and news)

One of the cool parts about making books for kids is when educators can take them and turn them into cool classroom fodder.

I love students creating their own Pigeon books, performing Elephant and Piggie skits in class, or using Knuffle-esque photo-collage to make little autobiographical scenes.

And as you know, I love getting them in the mail.

Well the old mailbag had a cool new assignment based on my one book that’s not for the kiddo’s, You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons.

The book documents the drawing-a-day diary that I created while traveling around the world for a year in 1990-91. The book came out 15 years after the trip was taken, so I got to make commentary on what I’d seen, how the world had changed, and who I was during that trip.

It’s the weird step-child in my family of books, and I like it all the more because of that...

Well, a teacher in my old stomping grounds of Brooklyn, NY thought the image a day would be cool for her students. Here are some results (click to enlarge):

Awesome! Why don’t you try it?

And, thanks to you, Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed climbs up a notch on the NY Times Bestseller List to #7 for its 6th week on the list.