Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mo’ Good News…

Yesterday I received an email from the SCBWI* (an organization dedicated to helping professional and aspiring children’s scribblers and doodlers with advice, support, and networking) informing me that Elephant and Piggie’s I Love My Toy! has been awarded a Golden Kite Honor for Picture Book Illustration. **

One of the cool things about the Golden Kites is that they also recognize editors and art directors. Those are the folks who do all of the actual hard work, when they aren’t eating at swanky joints***.

I was surprised and very happy to have my book noticed by my peers. Congrats to all the winners.

If you’ve been following this blog the past few weeks, you might be asking yourself, “self, when is that Mo guy finally gonna start losing some awards? Seriously.”

Fortunately, the ABA**** has come up with an award, voted on by independent booksellers*****, that I am guaranteed to lose. Due to some kind of clerical error, Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! has been nominated in The Indies Choice Book Awards for the category of… PICTURE BOOK HALL OF FAME.

Yup, the Pigeon’s going up against such deservedly classic, timeless books as:

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Curious George
Goodnight Gorilla
The Little Engine That Could
Make Way for Ducklings
Napping House
The Story of Ferdinand the Bull
and (wait for it…)
Where the Wild Things Are


I’m honored. Or embarrassed. Either way, best of luck to all.


*Which either stands for the Secular Clubbing Brewers, Workers, and Inmates or the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, I can never remember…

**The Golden Kite, by the way, is much more prestigious than, say, the Lead Kite or the Charlie Brown Kite.

***Well, they did back in the day. Now they eat their shoes. But, mostly they have very nice shoes, so that’s a plus.

****Which either stands for the American Booksellers Association or what happened in the 80’s when one of the guys quit ABBA because everyone was teasing him about his hair…

*****Did I mention I lurve Independent booksellers? Oh, I do, I do!