Monday, March 9, 2009

Speechless...

When you win a gold Geisel Award sticker for one of your Easy Readers, you are obligated to write, then make a short speech at ALA's summer convention *.

Award speeches are tricky; how can you actually thank those who've done the heavy lifting for you without your speech devolving into a grocery list of thanks ("Marcia, Johnny, Sally, Stick of Butter, Gallon of Milk, Dozen Eggs...") and consequently bore everyone into taking your award away from you.

I recently received a letter from ALSC, the wing of ALA that administers the Geisel Award asking for my speech, which I have not begun to think about.

In order to help me out, they included a copy of last year's speech for context:




(click to enlarge)

Well, at least I know I can do better than that joker...



*the convention this year is in July in Chicago. Concurrent with the convention will be a cool Caldecott Art show at the Chicago Art Institute.