Monday, January 18, 2010


As was officially announced at the American Library Association's annual conference, the animated version of DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS! has been awarded the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Home Video.

I'm thrilled to be sharing the award with co-producer Weston Wood's Paul Gagne, an award we could only have won thanks to the awesome animation of Pete List and vocal talent of Ambassador Jon Scieszka.

This is Paul and my second medal (the animated Knuffle Bunny won a few years back), which is doubly exciting. I feel strongly that well animated versions of picture books are an important gateway for what are now called 'reluctant readers' (and in my day were called 'boys'). It's magic to me if a kid is jazzed by a cartoon and then can check out the book and be jazzed by that.

I look forward to getting to thank the committee in person at this summer's ALA convention.

Your school or library can get it here (there's a clip, too) and it will be screened this weekend in Dallas for the Mo Willems retrospective.

FYI: Paul, Pete, and I are currently working on THE PIGEON FINDS A HOT DOG! with myself reprising the role of The Pigeon, and my daughter as The Duckling. I'd expect it to be ready for a fall release.