Thursday, November 11, 2010

Various recording...

Just back from a couple of fun days in NYC.  In addition to business and a visit to Books of Wonder (thanks for coming out to visit) the purpose of the trip was to record the track for the track for our next animated production, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! featuring myself as the Pigeon and Jon Scieszka as the Bus Driver.

The start of the recording session was unfortunately marred by some technical issues:

Finally, we got things figured out and had a great record!  Producer Paul Gagne and director Pete List tried to keep us on script, occasionally succeeding.



After such an exhausting time of not listening to Paul and Pete it was time for a yummy dinner with Jon, his lovely wife Jeri, and pal David Shannon.  Sausage!


The following day, after some work at the publishers, I managed to catch Robert Forbes' amazing Ronald Searle Exhibit at the Forbes Gallery in the Village. Anyone with the slightest interest in illustration should get down there to see the one of the world's greatest living illustrators.  Robert has an incredible collection. There's stuff from his internment in WWII camps all the way to his most recent book.  Besides the work, his book inscriptions certainly put mine to shame.  Great fun.

Thanks to my agent Marcia, for a Mad Men-like lunch at a steak house and to Bryan Batt for sending me his hilarious New Orleans Memoir (She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother) which made for great train reading and reminiscing of my own NOLA childhood (at least when I wasn't chatting with my art dealer R. Michelson who happened to be on the same train).

Speaking of recordings, here's a recent short interview from my local NPR station WFCR that ran this week where I talk about Knuffle Bunny Free and childhood.