Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hooray for a tour recap!

I'm back from the Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator Tour! and had a great time visiting with pals, meeting fans, reading and giggling.

You can read about what I and my author pals eat for lunch when we're in LA for the Book fest here (and see pictures of the lunch here) (the book fest was fun, too!)

The fine folks at BookPeople have a fun photo stream from the signing, including a fabulous fan made "Break N Snap" modeled from Elephant and Piggie's "I Love My Toy!"

Here's an awesome Pigeon costume I encountered in Milwaukee:

Lots of great stuff happened while was away including, thanks to you, Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator! debuting at #9 on the New York Times Bestseller List in the Chapter Book category and #8 in the Indie Bestseller list for Children's Interest.

The New York Times also ran a very flattering review of the book.

The Austin paper had a nice article about me and my work, the Milwaukee paper did an interview, but I think my favorite interview to date was this one with the Chicago Time Out magazine.

Here's a radio interview on Milwaukee's NPR station.

If that isn't enough, check out this 2 part interview with myself and Jon Muth about comics, City Dog Country Frog, and more. (part one.  part two)

 Animator Pete List was on hand in NYC to accept two ASIFA East Awards for the animated versions of Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed and The Pigeon Finds a Hotdog! (stay tuned for more info about an upcoming trade DVD release of these films)

The tour ended in Chicago at the Zena Sutherland Lecture, which had been one of the most prestigious annual speeches about kids books until last Friday.  Fortunately, the audience was very nice and hid their disappointment very well.

Pretty much as soon as I got home, I found myself having dinner with another touring author, Rick Riordan and his publicist Deborah Bass.  We had a fun evening eating and doodling.  Here's Rick's:


I now have 2 quick weeks to try and get some work done before I'm off to NYC for BEA.