Friday, September 2, 2011

Irene avoidance...

I'm just back at Knuffle Manor after a fun jaunt to the Bay Area visiting family and pals.

Hanging with Ginger, my in-law's pup and my best west coast pal.

The central professional event was a talk and signing at one of my favorite places, the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, CA.

This guy flew in from BERLIN to visit me at the Schulz Museum.
Not sure if that's disappointment on his face or what...

The event was great fun and followed by a small reception at Jeannie Schulz's insanely lovely guest house where I got to chat with old pals and new cartoonist and animator friends.


Jeannie Schulz also makes her own wine!  Check out the fantastic label.  Will be seeing if the wine matches in awesomeness this xmas.



The main family event was a wedding of my wife's cousin, who happens to be an animator at Disney.  So, in addition to family I got to talk shop with the likes of James Baxter during the festivities, which was fun.  It also meant that everyone drew on the tables during the rehearsal dinner, which frequent visitors to the blog know is my favorite thing in the world.

Trixie draws Manga-Style at the party!

I also managed a visit to the always interesting Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco followed by lunch with the Museum's director Andrew Farago and his cartoonist wife Shaenon Garrity.  The Archie show was great. 



(Also, check out the Braun design show at the SFMOMA if you have a chance. Simplicity at its awesomeness)


All in all, it was the perfect way to avoid earthquakes and hurricanes.  I'm happy to say that the studio made out fine during Irene, the only change to the house being these awesome sketches made by our house sitter during a blackout:



Awesome!

In other news, my dj pal Monte Belmonte and I visited the Springfield, MA museum to see an exhibit on Dr. Seuss' hometown influences.  The radio report is here.

Monte and I about to get into the WHMP-mobile! on our way to the museum.
And thanks to you, SHOULD I SHARE MY ICE CREAM? managed to spend another week on the New York Times Bestseller list, clocking in at #6 for week 10.  Thanks, you!


Thanks, you!

If you live in Chicago, this Sunday you can check out a free performance of DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS! at the always fun Millennium Park.  I'll be at the Tri-County Fair, hopefully doing THIS AGAIN!




Now, back to work!