Monday, November 14, 2011

NYTimes Book Review Cover

It was a great thrill to be asked to draw this fall's Children's Book Section cover for the NYTimes. They really wanted something 'seasonal', so this is what I came up with:


The final piece, as seen in your Sunday paper. The scene takes place before Knuffle Bunny Free.

You'll note some of my characters sneaking into the scene and (if you're Dutch) the carrot for Schimmel. The scene features my current fireplace, pretending to be a Brooklyn fireplace, which I couldn't use while I drew it because it was July and very, very hot.

A sketch for the drawing.


The first thing I did when I returned from the CT Book Fair (more on that fun later) on Sunday was light a fire and sit and read the paper in the same position as the Dad in the image.

Fun.