Thursday, April 26, 2012


Looks like I'll be making a few last minute appearances in NYC this weekend:

This Sunday, April 29th, is the 2nd day of the annual MoCCA festival, an indie comic fest filled with great artists, panels, comix and more.  The fest has moved from the Puck Building to the less claustrophobic Lexington Ave. Armory.  It's a great place to discover new comics and meet your cartooning heroes.

This year, the Center for Cartoon Studies in VT and old pal & super talent R. Sikoryak have put together The Cartoon Crier, an tabloid filled with cartoons new and old dealing with sad cartoons to be distributed during the fest (it will be downloadable later).  I contributed a few illustrations from my "I'M FINE" sketchbook.

Also, I'll be making sketches for money to support the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA) at their table on Sunday at 2:30 pm. Come by, ask for a Pigeon or Sheep or Elephant & Piggie and I'll draw it for you.

As if that isn't enough indie-artsy-goodness...


Sunday night, New Yorkers have a FREE opportunity to see what their animating neighbors have been up to by attending the ASIFA-East Film Festival.  

The festival is the only one that is voted on by the society's members, rather than a jury. Consequently, the screening not only gives a look at what local guys are making, but also what they're enjoying.  It's always a fascinating snap-shot of the scene.

I've written before about how important this ad-hoc gathering of the East Coast Best, Brightest, & Weirdest has been to me personally and career-wise. My first ever award for one of my films was at this festival 19 years ago and I've been thrilled to see my work, personal & commercial, recognized by my neighbors.

The festival features student works, indie films, commercial and TV work all in a vibrant, scruffy package that contrasts nicely with Los Angeles' black tie gala.

Due the the range of work from abstract to cartoon-y, I wouldn't recommend bringing the little ones to the show; some stuff can be, like NYC, raunchy fun.

A little bird tells me that you'll get to see the animated version of DON'T LET THE PIGEON STAY UP LATE! starring yours truly and Jon Scieszka in a psychedelic dream sequence animated by the great Pete List.

I'm sorry to have missed the past few years, so this year I've decided to make the trek down to the city to see old pals & new cartoons!

The New School
Tischman Auditorim
66 W. 12th St.
(bet. 5th/6th Aves)

Show starts at 7pm, but get there early and beat the crowd.

And dont' forget, I'll be in Northampton, MA on Saturday reading with Trumpets!