Friday, October 26, 2012

In the studio...

This week I visited the new Weston Woods Studios in Danbury, CT to record voices for a few more animated adaptations of my books.

In the studio was producer Paul Gagne, engineer Steve Syarto, and animator Pete List.

We always try to come up with a special extra scene for each film that expands what happens in the book.  For DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS!, the Bus Driver (Jon Scieszka) and the Pigeon (myself) did a fun improv.  For EDWINA THE DINOSAUR THAT DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS EXTINCT, Edwina (Cher Willems) taught Reginald Von Hoobie Doobie (myself) how to make chocolate chip cookies.  For the Knuffle Bunny Films we opened and closed with an animated interview with Dad (again, me) and Trixie (my daughter, Trixie).

When it came to coming up for the extra for GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE DINOSAURS, we thought I should try to read all of the rejected story ideas on both sets of endpapers.

 Turned out to be harder than I thought.

Here's the raw footage.

I know, I know... Insane.

Pete will be animated a sped up and truncated version of this, but I thought you might enjoy a behind the scenes look.