Monday, July 8, 2013

Recap and news AND see ya in Amherst!

I'm back from attending the ALA convention in Chicago and pals during a quick beach break, but before I recap the past few weeks, a look to the future.
photo: Misty Enright

This Saturday, July 13th, I'll be appearing at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, MA.  As readers of the blog know, I was there a few weeks back to celebrate the opening of the Seriously Silly exhibit that looks back at 10 years of my picture book work.

I'll be joined by pal and Weston Woods producer Paul Gagne as we screen several of the films based on my books that we've produced over the past 8 years or so.  Paul and I will be chatting as well as premiering a brand new animated short that is almost complete.  While it looks like that screening is sold out, there will be multiple screenings throughout the day, not to mention cool activities, and a book signing.  

photo: Misty Enright

A day at the Carle is always a fun day!

The full schedule for the Mo Films! Mo Books! Mo Fun! day is here.

This will be my last appearance state-side until opening weekend of Elephant & Piggie's We Are in a Play! at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC in late November. 

Speaking of exhibits, the fine folks at the R Michelson Galleries have created a fun website in conjunction with the Don't Pigeonhole Me! exhibit of my adult work.  If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can see a new video of myself guiding some opening night folks through the show. I hope you find it informative.

ALA was great fun.  We had a couple of great signings and I did my first public reading of next spring's The Pigeon Needs a Bath! at the Hyperion preview.  

I also got to thank the Geisel Comittee in person for giving Elephant and Piggie's Let's Go for a Drive! an honor.

It's also great to run into so many pals like Eric Rohman, Candy Fleming, Jackie Woodson, Oliver Jeffers, Kadir Nelson, Bryan Collier, Chris Myers, Jon Scieszka, Marla Frazee, Laura Seeger, David Small, JJK, and more as we watched Jon Klassen give an amazing Caldecott speech.

After Chicago, the Willems clan visited pals Daniel Handler and Lisa Brown, who took us to meet neighbor Bob Staake.  We had a blast looking at Bob's cartoon collection and the incredible cartoon reference morgue he'd inherited from an old newspaper cartoonist.  For geeks of a certain stripe, that's the tops.

Speakng of pals and geeking out, Codename: Kids Next Door creator Mr. Warburton has been posting storyboard pages from all of the KND stories.  It's great fun to see how we did the work (they used paper back then) and to see how much each artist brought to the stories. (Update: he's posted more boards!)

I returned home to find the brand new French version of Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator!  It's a lovely printing and great translation.

Also, thanks to you, it turns out that both last week AND the week before That is Not a Good Idea!, Let's Go for a Drive! and A Big Guy Took My Ball! were all on the New York Times Bestseller list!  Wow!  Thanks, you!

Here are some exciting upcoming things (I'll give more details when I get them):

Soon to be released is a new app for ipad, iphone and nook called MO ON THE GO! It's a fun series of games, including a doodle game:  

Also upcoming, this shirt and tote from the fine folks at Wondershirts:


As I've mentioned before, starting next month I'll be on a long-term sabattical and only updating this blog on a monthly basis.  As we prepare to leave, I'll post on the blog weekly.  Stay tuned, there's lots more exciting stuff coming down the pike! 

Mo Willems' Pigeon (and The Pigeon will probably continue to tweet)