Tuesday, April 29, 2014

MAY UPDATE!


COMIX!

I'm on sabbatical for the year.  While I will be making various appearances in Europe and beyond, mostly I'll be spending time at the home base in Paris, France drawing and doodling.  


You can check out my experiments over at Universal U-Click for a comic-strip-doodle-thingie called PARIS DOODLES . The strip runs drawings, dining room dinner doodles, and photos on weekdays.

CBS Sunday!


I recently spent some time talking with CBS Sunday's Rita Braver who, along with her team, created a nice piece giving background on my career, theater work, and my year taking a breather in Paris.  You can view the segment here.


NEW BOOKS!

THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH!  has landed on the shelves!

Thanks to you, it debuted at #1 on the Indie Bestseller list  AND at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list! What a wonderful surprise for Pigeon and everyone who worked on the book. Thank you!  

I spent the release day chatting on various morning shows across the country about the book (and the Pigeon made a few surprise appearances). It was fun. Here's a look at one with KATU and another chat with Channel 5 in Greenbay.


In addition, two new slightly revised BOARD BOOK versions are WHO IS THAT, CAT THE CAT? and  WHO FLIES, CAT THE CAT? have just been released. Mo' info can be gleaned at GoMo.net


Next month, on June 3, the newest Elephant and Piggie adventure, MY NEW FRIEND IS SO FUN! will be published.

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In My New Friend Is So Fun!, Piggie has found a new friend! But is Gerald ready to share?


I hope you'll enjoy this adventure starring Elephant, Piggie, Snake, and new pal Brian Bat. 

THEATER!


KNUFFLE BUNNY: A CAUTIONARY MUSICAL, is currently running at the GROWING STAGE Children's Theater of New Jersey in Netcong, NJ through May 18.  Full details are HERE.

You can see the cast talk about their production and try to pronounce "Knuffle" here.
 
EXHIBITS!



A fun exhibit in Seoul, Korea!  "The Pigeon Goes to Seoul: A Children's Exhibition Celebrating Mo Willems" is currently at Seongnam Arts Center.

808, Seongnam-daero, 
Bundang-gu, 
Seongnam-si, 
Gyeonggi-do.



The show is filled with a large selection of my book work including various interactive activities and games.

It runs though June 8, 2014.


The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is running a group show based on the new anthology picture book WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ANIMAL? The book, organized by pal Eric Carle, features 14 picture book artists (including myself).  The exhibit includes those works and YOU.  As part of digital component of the exhibit you can submit a drawing or painting (or anything) to be included on a monitor in the exhibit (submission details are here).

Proceeds from sales of the book WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ANIMAL? benefit the Carle Museum.

This exhibit runs through June 8, 2014

Here is a nice piece about the show and the book in the Boston Globe.



For those of you interested in original drawings (both from my books and personal work), sculpture and other things I make, my gallery is the R. Michelson Gallery in Northampton, MA.  They currently have a few drawings from my most recent book, THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH!, and will be showing larger scale paintings that I've been doing here in Paris at their Northampton space in September.

APPEARANCES!  


I'll be having what should be my final signing in Paris on

Saturday May 24 from 2 pm - 3 pm  

at WH Smith, 248 rue de Rivoli, Paris

WH Smith is a British store that carries my books in English, and they should have the just released (in the UK) The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

Please do drop by if you're in the area. 

I'll also be making some brief remarks at the American Library Gala Dinner on Monday, May 26 if you feel like getting gussied up...

NICE!



The Irish Independent likes DON'T LET THE PIGEON FINISH THIS ACTIVITY BOOK!, naming it one of their 50 faves for last month's International Book Day. 


The Pennsylvania Center for the Book named THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA as one of their Baker’s Dozen Best Children’s Books for Family Literacy for 2014. 

Also, the Guardian looks at the connection between children's lit and philosophy.

CONTEST!

I'm excited about this classroom/lego contest where kids are encouraged to create their own Pigeon stories in LEGO. The winners will receive a 2 foot tall Pigeon made of LEGO (& a video from me) or exclusive limited edition LEGO MINI-PIGEONS! (yikes!)

Guidelines here.

FULL DETAILS HERE.


Entries are due by October 31, 2014

xtra!

I love this picture from a composting station in MI that likes Pigeon and his pals: 


THAT'S IT!





That's this month's post.  Meanwhile, I'm sure The Pigeon will keep tweeting...