Sunday, November 30, 2014

DECEMBER UPDATE!

December is here and there's lots to talk about, including an appearance and exciting new stuff!

BOOKS!



Elephant and Piggie's WAITING IS NOT EASY! came out last month and the response has been nice.  Thanks to you, the story debuted at #2 on The New York Times Bestseller List. (Not to be left out, THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH! joined Waiting is Not Easy! on the next 2 weeks).

The New York Times liked the book, saying the story has "a breathtaking gift that couldn’t possibly have come any sooner."

Kirkus reviews also enjoyed the story, calling it, "A lesson that never grows old, enacted with verve by two favorite friends."

The Springfield Republican had a local-boy-does good story about myself, Elephant and Piggie, and the new book. 




On the foreign end, I recently visited Paris an picked up a copy of Kaléidoscope d'histoires, a huge anthology of 25 books celebrating the 25th year of my French publisher, Kaléidoscope.  I'm happy to say that the French version of Knuffle Bunny made it into the volume, along with the books of a few of my pals.  Its a handsome anthology.



I was in Paris on my way back from Azerbaijan, where a bunch of my work has just been published.  It was a wonderful trip where I met with art students and kids, had a press conference with ministers of state, checked out a Muğam Concert, and visited the mountainside Silk Route palaces.  A remarkable place, filled with remarkable people.  Thanks to all at TEAS Press.


Upon my return, I found a package of some brand new Japanese Elephant & Piggie adventures! Kawaii!




ALBUM!



I'm happy to announce the release of the Original Cast Soundtrack for ELEPHANT & PIGGIE'S WE ARE IN A PLAY! which debuted at the Kennedy Center last year.
Elephant Gerald is an elephant: lumbering, formally attired, prone to melancholy. Piggie is a piggie: perky, smiley, full of fun. Total opposites? No way! In Mo Willems's beloved, award-winning, best-selling children's books, Elephant Gerald and Piggie are best friends! And in We Are in a Play!, a brand-new vaudevillian romp of a musical, Elephant Gerald and Piggie sing and dance their way through plenty of pachydermal peril and swiney suspense--facing fundamental questions like, what do you wear to a fancy pool costume party? Should you share your ice cream? And how can two friends play with one toy? Backed by a live band (Dr. Cat and the Bear-a-Tones) and nutty back-up singers The Squirrelles, our duo even gets the audience involved in the action. So get ready for a musical experience ripped from the pages of your favorite books. You'll be doing the "Flippy Floppy Floory" dance all night long! 

If you didn't get to see the musical in DC, here's your chance to hear it in CD!

I'm super proud of all the work that went into this musical and the record. 

You can get your copy of it both digitally and physically at CD Baby.

I'm also happy to report that ELEPHANT & PIGGIE'S WE ARE IN A PLAY! will be remounted at various theaters across the country in the coming months (stay tuned here for mo' details).

I hope you enjoy.

(For those of you who are interested, the soundtrack for KNUFFLE BUNNY: A CAUTIONARY MUSICAL is also available)

COMIX!

Check out my comic strip of explorations and gags called FROM THE MO WILLEMS SKETCHBOOK







I'm sharing drawings from my sketchbook, dining room dinner doodles, abstractions, photo-gags, and mo' most every weekday.  I hope you'll visit the strip often and that it will provide the occasional smile or giggle.



APPEARANCE!




I'll be reading from WAITING IS NOT EASY! and signing books at the great Odyssey Bookshop in South Hadley, MA.

Sunday December 14th at 3pm!

Full details are here!

It should be great fun. If you can't make it, but still want a signed book, give them a call!


NEWS!


Here is a nice behind-the-scenes look at the rare manuscript department at Yale's Beinecke Libary for Eyewitness News 3 which includes Bread & Jam for Francis, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, John Hancock practicing his signature, and my sketchbooks (nice company!)



Here is a blog interview with me focusing on the RED HOUSE Book awards, which are the UK's only national award voted on by real kids!  THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! is a nominee, so go have a vote if you're a UK Kid!

Over at Scholastic, you can read advice about reading with your kids from people who know about that stuff, and also me.

STUFF!



The Holidays are upon us and this year there are a few new fun things based on my work available, like T-shirts, onesies, and Wall Decals.

Everything that is available can be found at my MO' STUFF site.  Note, it's not a merchant site, but it usually clicks thru to the independent folks that produce my puzzles, clothes, stuffie pals, et. al.

If you want signed books, you can chat to the fine folks at the ERIC CARLE MUSEUM GIFT SHOP where I frequently sign stock. Another local indie that I may have signed books is the Odyssey Books where I'll be this month!.



THAT'S IT!


That's this month's post. If you want to poke around the blog, some topics that might interest you are on the sidebar.

There are lots of fun things planned for 2015 including new books, collaborations, comedy concerts, a major exhibit, theater, and appearances all over the place.  


Meanwhile, I'm sure The Pigeon will keep tweeting...