Thursday, February 26, 2015

MARCH UPDATE!


March is looking to be a great fun Month with lots of Theater all over the country, appearances in Amherst, MA and, for the first time, New Zealand!

But first a quick look at last month:

RECAP!

What a fun month February was; starting out with a surprise call from the Geisel Committee informing me that Elephant & Piggie's WAITING IS NOT EASY! had garnered a Geisel Honor!





 This was a wonderful surprise, worth waiting for!  Thanks to the Geisel Committee!
Almost immediately afterwards I found myself at a dinner party in Los Angeles that had been planned weeks before for the regular gang to hang out.  In attendance were this year's Caldecott Medal winner (Dan Santat) and a Caldecott Honoree (Jon Klassen).  We all raised a glass and had a grand old time.

Some party crasher w/ Dan Santat & John Klassen

Then is was off to San Francisco for this year's SketchFest DON'T LET THE COMEDIANS  DO STORY TIME! show.  We had a fantastic audience who ate up the incredible job our cast did.  A real blast (we'll do it again next year, I hope)

From l to r: John Cho, Kristen Schaal, Kevin Pollak, yours truly, special nepotistic guest star Trixie, Scott Adsit, John Hodgman, Janeane Garofalo, Busy Phillipps, & Kate Micucci! (photo by Jakub Mosur, jakubmosur.com)

As if that weren't enough, my pal and neighbor Tony DiTerlizzi presented the cover reveal of our upcoming collaboration, THE STORY OF DIVA AND FLEA.  The story, set in Paris, is my first chapter book and first collaboration with Tony, who is knocking it out of the Péntanque court.  It is great fun to work with a great talent who lives just down the street.



APPEARANCES

Only 2 appearances in March, but they're spread out from 9 miles from my studio to 9,000 miles from my studio. Hope to see you at either one, but probably not both.
 

March 2, Amherst, MA

I'll be keynote speech at the Massachusetts School Library Association Conference in Amherst.  I'll also be signing

The whole event seems like its going to be great filled with a bunch of talented neighbors and pals speaking.

All details are here. 

This event is for conference attendees only.   

 
Saturday March 21, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND!

I'll be reading and signing at my first & only New Zealand appearance.  If you're in the area, I'd love for you to drop by and say 'Hello'.

The Dorthy Butler Children's Bookshop
1 Jervois Rd, Ponsoby, Aukland
tel. 09.376.7283 

10.30 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing the country and you.

RADIO




You can hear my recent stint as the Very Important Puzzler on NPR's Ask Me Another.  Fun was had by all. 

You can listen to the whole hour or just the bits that I'm in.

One bit is here (with a web-extra-out-take)

Another bit is here (also with a web-extra-out-take)

Note: this one is for the grown-ups, not the kids. 

THEATER!


4 productions of  my plays are running this month.  3 of the vaudevillian adventure ELEPHANT & PIGGIE'S WE ARE IN A PLAY! and 1 of KNUFFLE BUNNY: A CAUTIONARY MUSICAL. I hope you'll get a chance to see the shows if you're in the area!

If you can't make it to any of the shows, the original cast album of ELEPHANT & PIGGIE is available here!  

And the original cast album of KNUFFLE BUNNY is available here!


SAN ANTONIO, TX



The Magik Theater company in San Antonio opens their production on March 6 and runs until April 18.

Full info and tickets available here!

CHICAGO, IL



The Emerald City Theater's production is running all month and looks to be a fun production.


 Full info and tickets available here!


SMITHTOWN, NY

The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts production runs on Long Island from March 14 through April 11.

Full info and tickets available here!

SAN DIEGO, CA


The North Coast Repertory Theater's production of Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Musical runs most of the month, opening on March 6th.

Full info and tickets available HERE!

COMIX!

Check out my comic strip of explorations and gags called FROM THE MO WILLEMS SKETCHBOOK







I'm sharing drawings from my sketchbook, dining room dinner doodles, abstractions, photo-gags, and mo' most every weekday.  I hope you'll visit the strip often and that it will provide the occasional smile or giggle.

NICE THINGS!



Thanks to you, Feb. saw THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH! on the New York Times best seller list, sharing space with an Elephant & Piggie or two!  Thanks you!

ALA is more than just Awards.  Each year the Notables Committee selects a great list of books that are, well, notable.  I'm thrilled to find WAITING IS NOT EASY! and THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH! on this year's list along with a slew of wonderful books.


Also, I'm thrilled that the animated version of THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE?! was named a notable video.  Congrats to the whole Weston Woods team and animator, pal Pete List.  The video is currently available for the school & library market and a trade video should come out soon. 

DEMOCRACY IN ACTION (AND NEBRASKA AND WISCONSIN)



THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! has been nominated for Nebraska's state kid-voted citation, a Golden Sower Award as well as a Wisconsin's Golden Archer Award.  

 
I love awards that are voted on by the kids.  So, if you're a Nebraskian or Wisconsonian (?) kid, what are you waiting for? Get voting!

VIDEOS!

My pals at First Book challenged me to read as many words as possible in 10 seconds to help raise money to get books in kids hands.  You can see how I did, then try it yourself!













I was asked by ALA to create a short video about my reaction to the recent Geisel Honor for WAITING IS NOT EASY.  Here's my response:





THAT'S IT!



That's this month's post. If you want to poke around the blog, some topics that might interest you are on the sidebar.

Meanwhile, I'm sure The Pigeon will keep tweeting...