Monday, June 1, 2015


It's SUMMER time!  That means lots of vacation and fun, but also a whole bunch of appearances and theater and exhibits and movies and stuff to do.


June 2 sees the publication of a brand new Elephant & Piggie adventure, I WILL TAKE A NAP!

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In I Will Take a Nap! Gerald is tired and cranky.
 Will Piggie be in his dreams? 
Or will she keep Gerald from dreaming at all?

KIRKUS Reviews, enjoyed the story saying: "As naps go, this is about as strenuous—and as funny—as it gets."

Also, two of my Elephant & Piggie books are being released in Spanish for the first time in the USA.

¡Estamos en un libro!

The Spanish version of WE ARE IN A BOOK! 


¿Debo compartir mi helado?

The Spanish version of SHOULD I SHARE MY ICE CREAM?

Go check 'em out at your favorite local bookstore or library!



The exhibit is based on the 2013 solo show at the Eric Carle Museum, with added original work and cool stuff. 

I visited the show at the end of May and was overjoyed by how fun it was.  Kids, adults, and art students alike packed the joint.  A true thrill for me. I hope you'll enjoy the show as well.

Don't miss it!

The exhibit runs through January of 2016. 


There are 3 productions of  of the vaudevillian adventure ELEPHANT & PIGGIE'S WE ARE IN A PLAY! and 1 production of KNUFFLE BUNNY: A CAUTIONARY MUSICAL running this summer. I hope you'll get a chance to see the shows if you're in the area!
If you can't make it to any of the shows, the original cast album of ELEPHANT & PIGGIE is available here!  

 And the original cast album of KNUFFLE BUNNY is available here! 


Directed by Rosemary Newcott, the director of the original Kennedy Center production, this one is a great show with a fabulous set, energetic cast, and wonderful debut for "Trixie". 

I loved seeing it and hope you will, too.

The Alliance Theatre's production of Knuffle Bunny runs through JUNE 28.

Full info and tickets available here!


The Emerald City Theater's Elephant & Piggie production continues going strong! 

It runs through JUNE 28.

 Full info and tickets available here!


 The Gifford Family Theater's Elephant & Piggie's production runs thru JUNE 13th.

Full info here!

Chattam, Cape Cod, MA

The Cape Rep Theatre's Elephant & Piggie production runs all summer from JULY 1 - SEPT. 3.

Full info here!


I'll be making a few stops in Mass & Cali to read and meet you this summer.  Please drop by if you have the chance!

JUNE, 2015

BOSTON, MA - Sat. JUNE 20th, Old South Sanctuary, Copely Square  - 10 am

I'll be headlining the Boston Bookfest's new HUBBUB kids bookfest!  

A fun, free event for everyone! (Looks like a great line up all day)

Details for my bit here!

GLENDALE, CA - Tues. June 23rd, Glendale Barnes & Noble  6 pm!

I'll be in LA to read from my brand new Elephant & Piggie adventure (maybe with a special guest!).  This will be a fun one!

Glendale Americana

The Americana at Brand
210 Americana Way
Glendale, CA 91210
Details HERE!

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - JUNE 27th - 29th

I'll be attending the ALA convention doing a few signings and appearances. If you're attending the conference, please come by and say 'hello'.

Sat. June 27 

9.00 - 10.00 am - Disney/Hyperion Booth #1028, Moscone Center

I'll be signing with pal Tony DiTerlizzi, celebrating our upcoming chapter book collaboration DIVA & FLEA.

1.15 pm -Disney/Hyperion Booth #1020, Moscone Center

I'll be signing celebrating my most recent Elephant and Piggie adventure, I WILL TAKE A NAP!

Sun. June 28

3.00 pm- MCC Esplanade 305, Moscone Center

ALA Awards presentation, The Snicket Prize for a Librarian Facing Adversity.

My pals Daniel Handler & Jackie Woodson will be presenting this year's prize to Ferguson, MO librarian Scott Bonner.  Last year, I made a little something for the winner, so maybe I'll do that again...

Mon. June 29

8.30 am - MCC 3006 (W), Moscone Center

ALSC Awards Presentation

I'll be there to accept a Geisel Honor for WAITING IS NOT EASY! and personally thank the committee (a big thrill)!

No appearances during JULY.

AUGUST, 2015


World Premier film screenings of the animated versions of GOLDILOCKS & THE THREE DINOSAURS and THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE!? produced with Weston Woods.

I've been making animated shorts based on my books since 2006 and we're going to spend the day at the Carle screening those films, doing fun activities, and signing books.  Events at the Carle are always a blast, so come on by and celebrate the end of summer with some cartoons.

The screenings will sell out quickly, so get your reservations in as soon as possible.

The schedule for the day:

11 am - World premier of GOLDILOCKS & THE THREE DINOSAURS and THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE!? followed by a Q+A with myself.

Noon - Book signing.  

3 pm - Special Surprise Screening, with special guest!

There will be many more screenings throughout the day of the many other short films we've produced. 

Elephant & Piggie will also be there for photo ops!

Don't miss this fun event!


Pal Tony DiTerlizzi and I spent a few minutes at Book Expo America talking about our upcoming collaboration, THE STORY OF DIVA & FLEA for Book View.

It's a fun chat.  You can see it by CLICKING HERE, checking out Part 5 at @ 12 minute mark.


Thanks to you, Elephant & Piggie's WAITING IS NOT EASY! spent a few weeks in May on the New York Times Bestseller list! , occasionally joined by THE PIGEON NEEDS A BATH! Thanks you!

US TODAY thinks you should read some authors' 'other' work, including GOLDILOCKS & THE 3 DINOSAURS.  

The CAT THE CAT board books were included in the Carnegie Library's Best Books For Babies list for 2015. 


Check out my comic strip of explorations and gags called FROM THE MO WILLEMS SKETCHBOOK

I'm sharing drawings from my sketchbook, dining room dinner doodles, abstractions, photo-gags, and mo' most every weekday.  I hope you'll visit the strip often and that it will provide the occasional smile or giggle. 


That's this summer's post. If you want to poke around the blog, some topics that might interest you are on the sidebar.

Meanwhile, I'm sure The Pigeon will keep tweeting...